Thursday 15 March 2007

When I grow up...I want to be...

Yesterday, in class, we were seperated in groups and given a reading to study that was written by (who is now) a level two student studying for the same degree as I am (BA Hons PR). The goal of this was to inspire us into creating an arguement for which was the better area of PR to enter, "In House" or "Consultancy". The end product was a good one. As both groups tried to put one over on the other for a good 20 minutes!

Apart from what the tutor taught us that day, one other thing stuck with me. In the reading, the student mentioned that "PR is a course that people take when they don't know what to do next". In my opinion, I feel that there is some truth in this statement, because 'hand-on heart' I wasn't entirely sure what I was applying mid-last year and only am getting to realise what the world of Public Relations has to offer.

But my question is this, do you think that PR is a career that young men/woman aspire to get into? Or they try their hand at it simply because they don't know what to do next?

2 comments:

Katy Marshall said...

Thanks Adam! It doesn't seem like two minutes since I was in your position a year ago. Stick with it, the hard work pays off! I don't think I realised during the first year what I had let myself in for.

However, once second year had arrived everything just seems to click into place and you just get it! The RR degree is challenging, and be assured, the volume of work at least doubles when you get into second year. But, at the same time, if you rise to the challenge it's also that much more rewarding.

Our degree will not only stand you in good stead in the PR industry, but generally in business fields too. By the way, what did you decide, consultancy or in-house?

Samantha Wilcox said...

For me I always knew that I wanted to do PR so it was never a difficult choice. I did (and still am!) struggling with the consultant/in-house decision but I think as you try out both sides you'll get a better idea as to which you are more suited. Good luck with the rest of your course Adam, I look forward to reading more!